Disgusterous

Author Topic: Oh bloody hell, not these nutbags again  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Oh bloody hell, not these nutbags again
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Being one of the 'foreign invaders' in Cornwall the news that these nutbags are running loose again is making me far from happy. I'd even consider asking Nick if he had a spare room  eeek:

There were few outward signs of a terrorism alert in north Cornwall yesterday. Visitors milled around Padstow's busy harbour as usual while further down the coast at Newquay surfers lounged about on a warm, waveless day.
But behind the scenes at Cornwall's two most famous eateries, Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant in Padstow and Jamie Oliver's Fifteen in Newquay, security was being stepped up after Cornish extremists claimed they were planning to target two of the country's most famous chefs.

A group calling itself the Cornish National Liberation Army (CNLA) threatened to burn down one of Stein's businesses in Padstow and declared the cars of his customers legitimate targets.

The group said Fifteen - a restaurant set up by Oliver to help disadvantaged Cornish youngsters find a career in catering - was also in its sights, and branded the chef an "incomer" who was hurting local people by driving up house prices and living costs.

CNLA, which claimed to include members of the An Gof organisation - militants suspected of a series of attacks in the 1980s, including an explosion at a courthouse in St Austell, added it would target anyone who flew the flag of St George, which they called "imperialistic and tainted".

It claimed one of its activists had previously been involved in the burning of English people's holiday homes in Wales and said it had significant funding from other "Celtic nations" and the US.

The threats, made to a local morning newspaper via an Arabic web-hosting service, were being taken seriously by the police and the chefs. A police spokesman said yesterday: "Devon and Cornwall constabulary ... have made immediate contact with proprietors of various businesses and are actively working together, with a view to ensure that appropriate crime prevention measures are maintained."

There was outrage from across the political spectrum at the threats, a sense of disbelief from the businesses named and bemusement at the group's targets.

Though he was born in Oxfordshire, Stein's family has had connections with Cornwall for the best part of a century and his businesses have brought in millions of pounds to the economy.

Oliver's Fifteen is a charitable foundation based at Watergate Bay - a hotel and extreme sports academy that has been operating in Cornwall for five generations. A spokeswoman for Fifteen said: "We are very surprised and disappointed by the statement because everything about us is Cornish. We are a fifth-generation Cornish business employing large numbers of Cornish staff, we buy huge quantities of food from Cornish fishermen and farmers and...we are committed to helping 400 disadvantaged young Cornish people over the next 20 years."

A source at Fifteen said that she had recently been contacted by someone, possibly from CNLA, asking how many employees were born and bred in Cornwall. Police are investigating.

Stein, branded "this English newcomer" by the CNLA, declined to comment. But a spokeswoman said he had spent time in Padstow all his life and considered it home. He employs 244 staff.

The CNLA claimed it was a amalgamation of An Gof, which takes its name from a 15th-century rebel leader, and another group, the Cornish Liberation Army.

But police sources said they were unclear whether the threats were the work of cranks operating from a spare bedroom or something more serious. Earlier this year a message purporting to be from An Gof surfaced in which the group threatened to destroy all St George flags. A flag in Tresillian, south Cornwall, was subsequently cut to ribbons and the slogan "English Out" daubed on a garden wall.

The leader of Cornwall county council, David Whalley, said some of the CNLA's concerns - such as the difficulty many locals have buying homes - were valid but their tactics were not. "It's unfortunate these people feel so alienated," he said.

Dick Cole, the leader of Mebyon Kernow, a political party that campaigns for greater self-government for Cornwall, said he was "very saddened" at the threats and called CNLA a "pseudo-terrorist group".

Malcolm Bell, chief executive of South West Tourism, said: "A few years ago this lot would have been dismissed like Wolfie Smith and his Tooting Popular Front. Since 9/11 and the July 7 attacks you have to take it seriously."

But there was some support on Cornish websites. On the Cornishman newspaper's site, Michael Wright, an exile from St Austell, said: "The Cornish people are being cheated out of their own country. I wish I could do more for the liberation of Kernow [Cornwall]."

In its email, entitled "directive number one", the CNLA echoed recent comments from Stein that local businesses had benefited from the "rosy glow" of publicity his ventures had attracted, the CNLA said one of its activists was involved in the burning of cottages in Wales and added: "At a unspecified date, Rick Stein will himself feel a 'rosy glow' in our Cornish port of Padstow."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Oh bloody hell, not these nutbags again
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:07:12 PM »
If the "English" all left Wales, Scotland and Cornwall their economies would collapse overnight AND they know it.
If the English did pull out AND sent home all the Scots, Welshmen and Cornish Celts who currently enjoy high earnings and standards of living in and around London alone the local economies would collapse even faster under the strain of the influx.
If the Locals in Wales, The West Country (wherever the f*ck that actually is and I note that Southampton now claims West Country Status!!!)  and Scotland weren't so bloody greedy and sold to other locals instead of advertising their properties the length and breadth of the kingdom to maximise their profits then there would not be a housing problem in those places.
I paid ?80k for my house in North Wales six years ago. The owner (Local born and bred from a family that had lived here for at least two hundred years) had been asking ?90k plus for over two years and no local would buy it. Hardly my fault that I saw it as a bargain when you consider I was selling my house 35 miles north of Marble Arch for twice as much because it was too small for our growing family and was looking for a bigger place that I could not find down there.
Nationalists need shooting. I say vote for anyone who will declare open season on the b@st@rds.
Vote Boris Johnson for Emperor!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »
The situation with house prices in cornwall is bloody ridiculous but it doesnt justify these inbred morons threatening to firebomb people, especially Jamie Oliver's place as he is working to give disadvantaged kids down here a chance. Not to mention the fact that most of Cornwall's economy is based on tourism and 'deranged cornish extremists' doesnt really strike me as being an attraction.

There was someone on the radio earlier on calling them the Pasty Hamas, I'd call them Pasta but I wouldnt want to set them off thinking I was calling them italian.

Yes I know I'm quite possibly painting a large bullseye on my head right now but stupidity like this really narks me off. 
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
So I'll tell Boris you're a yes then. happ096

Misunderstood

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »
If the "English" all left Wales, Scotland and Cornwall their economies would collapse overnight AND they know it.
If the English did pull out AND sent home all the Scots, Welshmen and Cornish Celts who currently enjoy high earnings and standards of living in and around London alone the local economies would collapse even faster under the strain of the influx.
If the Locals in Wales, The West Country (wherever the f*ck that actually is and I note that Southampton now claims West Country Status!!!)  and Scotland weren't so bloody greedy and sold to other locals instead of advertising their properties the length and breadth of the kingdom to maximise their profits then there would not be a housing problem in those places.
I paid ?80k for my house in North Wales six years ago. The owner (Local born and bred from a family that had lived here for at least two hundred years) had been asking ?90k plus for over two years and no local would buy it. Hardly my fault that I saw it as a bargain when you consider I was selling my house 35 miles north of Marble Arch for twice as much because it was too small for our growing family and was looking for a bigger place that I could not find down there.
Nationalists need shooting. I say vote for anyone who will declare open season on the b@st@rds.

Not that I would want to appear to be arguing with you, because to a point, I agree.  But I can't stand idly by and let you get away with all that.

Firstly, are you suggesting that all the high earners from Wales and Scotland and Cornwall are on poverty relief schemes in London?  The collapse caused by the compulsory evacuation would hurt England too and ultimately benefit the home countries that they repatriate to, - the Asians prove the truth of this - success is always people born.

And, the main reason why Wales etc., has nothing to offer anymore, is because the English have already taken everything of value and we are in payback time. Quite a lot of the great names that assisted the English to conquer most of the world were from the poor relation countries.

Personally, I'm all in favour of one united country and one language too. These islands are too small for different identities and if the English had just included their neighbours in their endeavours instead of practicing their methods of conquest on us there would not be so much resentment still abound by those that read their history.

Hell!   We might even still have an Empire if they hadn't been so damn unsociable to their neighbours.  Even the practice of making the Crown Prince the Prince of Wales was done to craftily secure the loyalty of the Welsh to the English Crown - in advance! And it still rankles in places.  The bloody Welsh language is only a way of quietly rebelling.

As you said, maybe for all the wrong reasons, what goes around.... This is the first time in a millennia that we (the neighbours) have been able to stand up and say anything in our own cause (Apart from the IRA, and a half-hearted token revolt by the FWA) so don't be too surprised if some of the suppressed hostilities start to emerge with the regional identities, just wait until the Houses of Lancaster and Yorkshire start. you may well find that England is really just the Home Counties.

England has thrived on the watchwords  "Shoot the nationalists." That has always been the problem.

Shy Talk

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »
 At least the so called cornish nutters are not afraid to stand up for what they believe is theirs which is more than can be said for the big city dwellers who moan continually about the influx of imigrants in their area .  Bring it on thats what I say .   boxing

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
Fair enough if they want to rage against whants going on in cornwall but violence isnt the answer. Cornwall depends on tourism for its economy as fishing has been cut down dramatically and mining is all but abandoned. If they do start firebombing anyone they think is a foreign invader then its pretty obvious that the tourists arent going to come anywhere near here.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »

Not that I would want to appear to be arguing with you, because to a point, I agree.  But I can't stand idly by and let you get away with all that.

Firstly, are you suggesting that all the high earners from Wales and Scotland and Cornwall are on poverty relief schemes in London?  The collapse caused by the compulsory evacuation would hurt England too and ultimately benefit the home countries that they repatriate to, - the Asians prove the truth of this - success is always people born.

And, the main reason why Wales etc., has nothing to offer anymore, is because the English have already taken everything of value and we are in payback time. Quite a lot of the great names that assisted the English to conquer most of the world were from the poor relation countries.

Personally, I'm all in favour of one united country and one language too. These islands are too small for different identities and if the English had just included their neighbours in their endeavours instead of practicing their methods of conquest on us there would not be so much resentment still abound by those that read their history.

Hell!   We might even still have an Empire if they hadn't been so damn unsociable to their neighbours.  Even the practice of making the Crown Prince the Prince of Wales was done to craftily secure the loyalty of the Welsh to the English Crown - in advance! And it still rankles in places.  The bloody Welsh language is only a way of quietly rebelling.

As you said, maybe for all the wrong reasons, what goes around.... This is the first time in a millennia that we (the neighbours) have been able to stand up and say anything in our own cause (Apart from the IRA, and a half-hearted token revolt by the FWA) so don't be too surprised if some of the suppressed hostilities start to emerge with the regional identities, just wait until the Houses of Lancaster and Yorkshire start. you may well find that England is really just the Home Counties.

England has thrived on the watchwords  "Shoot the nationalists." That has always been the problem.

So I'll tell Boris you're a "maybe"  lol:

Misunderstood

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »

So I'll tell Boris you're a "maybe"  lol:

;D ;D

No. Tell him I have a mate from Liverpool who wants a chat.   whistle:

I've always understood the West Country ends with Dorset.

Southampton is very South Coast.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
I grew up in Southampton and in that time the BBC have moved it from South Coast to Southeast, back to South and thence to South West and finally I noticed a report recently that said West Country.
My late mother always reckoned it would be very dark in Southampton if ever the TV weather man got it right because the line on his map between South East and South West always seemed to pass right over us.

Misunderstood

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »
I grew up in Southampton and in that time the BBC have moved it from South Coast to Southeast, back to South and thence to South West and finally I noticed a report recently that said West Country.
My late mother always reckoned it would be very dark in Southampton if ever the TV weather man got it right because the line on his map between South East and South West always seemed to pass right over us.

Southampton must be a very popular city. 

or very unpopular...  depends how you look at it.

However, it is West of Greenwich, so I suppose to the London oriented movers and shakers, West it is.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
It was a great place once ... I got out 25 years ago when it became a city that existed of desk flying managers .... all managing one another and producing very little other than paper.
Once the Big Ships had gone that was the end for me and many others. The place just lost its heart. Shame 'cos it was, as I say, a great place to grow up but it became very spiteful and just too full of "Executive" homes and their occupants.

Boozehag

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
Perhaps all us Celts could take some lessons from the Basque's.... rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »
Perhaps all us Celts could take some lessons from the Basque's.... rubschin:

OR

Boozehag

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
 redface: redface: redface: