Disgusterous

Author Topic: Soup  (Read 27331 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Soup
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
So why isn't it called Goatish Water then?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
Because Goatish Water©™ is a copyrighted trademark of Stavros’ Kebab Emporium that’s why…
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:32:21 AM »
Because Goatish Water©™ is a copyrighted trademark of Stavros’ Kebab Emporium that’s why…

Eau de Capricorn sounds a bit poncy as well.

'Mannish' it must remain I fear.
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »
Have to say that with soup it is all about the stock. You don't need a huge pot. Just one big enough for your needs. Mine was a tenner from tesco and holds a chicken carcass plus all the other stuff and I think about four litres of water.

Favorite soup is spiced butternut squash. Cook squash in veg stock, blitz it all up, add some creme fraiche and whatever curry paste you prefer, we like tandori, blitz again return to heat. Yumster!

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »

Beacause eating it is meant to stiffen the resolve and bolster your manliness apparently - hence Mannish.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »

Beacause eating it is meant to stiffen the resolve and bolster your manliness apparently - hence Mannish.

point:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
To be honest Wenchy I tried it because I was curious about the taste given that the only part of the goat that wasnt used in the recipie was the skin.

Didnt ask about why it was so called until after I'd had a second helping and was wondering why I was getting strange looks of some people.  redface:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
Have to say that with soup it is all about the stock. You don't need a huge pot. Just one big enough for your needs. Mine was a tenner from tesco and holds a chicken carcass plus all the other stuff and I think about four litres of water.
Favorite soup is spiced butternut squash. Cook squash in veg stock, blitz it all up, add some creme fraiche and whatever curry paste you prefer, we like tandori, blitz again return to heat. Yumster!

Are you that demanding in all aspects of life?  eeek: Four litres is nearly a gallon in old money
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »

Does stock freeze well? (sorry to bug you but you seem to know more than Google about these things!  happy088)
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
Well if you can freeze soup you should in theory be able to freeze stock.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

Does stock freeze well? (sorry to bug you but you seem to know more than Google about these things!  happy088)

Quite alright.  ;) I'm no expert though! I keep mine in the fridge for a day or two then skim the fat off the top and then freeze it. I freeze it in one litre bags and also as ice cubes. Then it's available for adding taste or as a base for risotto or soup.

Are you that demanding in all aspects of life?   Four litres is nearly a gallon in old money

I didn't go out looking for it I just grabbed the biggest pot there was in tescos. The thing is a lot of people/recipes insist that you need a proper stock pot with copper bottom or heavy base I was just trying to illustrate that you didn't.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »

noooo:

Just not the same. I will use vegetable stock granules occasionally but only this variety