Disgusterous

Author Topic: Clegg vs Democracy  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Clegg vs Democracy
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »
Now Nicholas, I'm aware of the difficulties you are clearly having in understanding the foundation of the democratic system so I'll try and use really small words to help you get to grips with it.

Firstly, ONE VOTE PER PERSON!!!

Secondly, when the votes have been cast the choice has been made. So if you don't like the result and start to argue that the vote should happen again you insult the principle of democracy as well as those people who have voted.

Your latest attempt to overturn the referendum result, bleating on that we should have another referendum with people under 30 being able to vote twice just takes the piss out of the system you claim to stand for. Besides, given that there is already an investigation into voting irregularities where students may have voted both in their home town as well as their university residence, there is an argument that your latest attempt to overturn the referendum result may have already happened.

The sooner Clegg gets the hint that it's time to fade back into obscurity the better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4697984/Let-s-second-Brexit-referendum-says-Nick-Clegg.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Clegg vs Democracy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
So you say we should stick with the 1975 referendum result then?
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »

Okay I could have done a better job of wording that line but the 1975 referendum was to join the EEC, an economic community not a political one. The entity that we are in now bears no resemblance whatsoever to what the electorate was mislead into joining back then.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »

Okay I could have done a better job of wording that line but the 1975 referendum was to join the EEC, an economic community not a political one. The entity that we are in now bears no resemblance whatsoever to what the electorate was mislead into joining back then.
All a bit like the position post Brexit is going to be nothing like what Vote Leave told us it would be?

Actually I quite like Clegg, he's one of the few politicians I'd go out of my way to buy a drink for.  His problem is he was a nice guy, OK as an MP but was never a serious major party leader - he just doesn't have the gravitas and he got played by the Tories in 2010-5 and by Farage in that debate.

As for a 2nd referendum it's inevitable with the only question is whether it's before we leave.  Some deal will be done with the EU and it will place obligations on the UK and many people will moan forever that they don't like either those obligations or the limits on trade we then face.
Well, whatever, nevermind