Author Topic: Yikes  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Yikes
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
http://247wallst.com/aerospace-defense/2016/04/06/faa-issues-directive-on-boeing-787-flight-control-issue/

whistle:

I would have thought "An unrealistic, sudden drop in displayed airspeed at high actual airspeed.” would have been coped with by common sense in the pilot, who presumably notice that they are not squashed against the window by an instantaneous deceleration of several hundred miles per hour?

The fact that they need it written down as a procedure worries me much more,
Or a microburst
A microburst will cause a sudden change in altitude but not airspeed.
But it's indicated airspeed they're talking about and a microburst screws that a treat
Unless things have changed, a microburst will produce a brief, transient increase in indicated airspeed, not a sustained decrease of the kind described.
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »
http://247wallst.com/aerospace-defense/2016/04/06/faa-issues-directive-on-boeing-787-flight-control-issue/

whistle:

I would have thought "An unrealistic, sudden drop in displayed airspeed at high actual airspeed.” would have been coped with by common sense in the pilot, who presumably notice that they are not squashed against the window by an instantaneous deceleration of several hundred miles per hour?

The fact that they need it written down as a procedure worries me much more,
Or a microburst
A microburst will cause a sudden change in altitude but not airspeed.
But it's indicated airspeed they're talking about and a microburst screws that a treat
Unless things have changed, a microburst will produce a brief, transient increase in indicated airspeed, not a sustained decrease of the kind described.
Microbursts cause both increases and decreases in IAS

And the sustained aspect is irrelevant if the pilot reacts to the initial indicated drop.  And that's what the warning is concerned about.  Pushing the aircraft beyond structural limits (in common parlance the wings breaking) by reacting to increase IAS when it was already enough.

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »
At Gatwick they are known as BinLiners or Screamliners. They're shit. Ask Thomson or Norwegian - both of whom have some and both of whom have considerably more problems with them than they have with the rest of their fleet.

There is a phrase - "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!". No-one says it much anymore.

Airbus all the way  :thumbsup:
Well Dream/Screamliner were OK

Live TV through the flight and it arrived early. Apart from that it's just another plane really
Well, whatever, nevermind